Log in

No account? Create an account
29 November 2010 @ 10:01 pm
Thanksgiving Holiday Weekend  
I didn't really have plans for Thanksgiving this year since the usual family thing did not happen, so I slept in really late (fabulous!) and then hit the Indian buffet. They even had turkey on the buffet - done up as an Indian dish, but Turkey nonetheless. I spent the day cleaning and prepping fibers for the dyeing day on Friday. "Thanksgiving Dinner" was just my favorites - a giant pile of mashed potatoes, jellied cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and cranberry wine. Nummy!

Friday I skipped the retail madness but still got up shiny-early and went to help goldfrog  and R move. OMG, cold! There was still some testosterone-fueled disorganization when I got there, so I went with arebekah  to get gas in her car and coffee in my hands. When it became clear that the ovaries were superfluous to the semi-packing process, we ended up filling up the little Fit then heading over to the new house to unload and help in the house. By 12:30 I had to go, though, since I was expecting guests.

In fact, I had a pile of lovely ladies over to play with stinky water - I'll have a full report once all the projects are finished, since there still are some things in the dyebaths. We had some technical difficulties early on - we could press the start button and get the fire lit, but the timer on the turkey fryer just would not turn on and as soon as we let go, it would turn off again. I tried to remove the timer, but it was just stuck. I took it down to the Ace Hardware where a very nice man deconstructed the hoses for me... only to find that the two hoses on either side of the timer were not the same size... and one side was metric and the other imperial, so they didn't even have a coupler! Arrrrg! Now what?!?!? I was fretting about how the hell I was going to get the tubes to join together when it suddenly hit me - I'm such a bad SCAdian! Duct tape, of course! It utterly defeated the timer purpose, but a few strips of duct tape held down the start button, some Teflon tape allowed the hoses to re-seal on either side of the timer, and we were in business. I felt so dumb, and only slightly better that there was a fighter there who had not thought of the "easy" solution either. :P Anyway, we started with an onion skin bath, producing a pale red, but then we added a few gallons of Pennsic water and whoosh! like magic, the fabric turned green! Yay! Then there was a madder bath for some lovely orangey-reds on silk and wool... although the cotton onesie for Miss Em turned bright pink!

Saturday and Sunday were spent sleeping in, reading, cleaning up after the party, and continuing the dyeing, since the madder bath still had a long way to go before becoming exhausted. Saturday's "free time" was almost entirely eaten up by classwork - I had utterly neglected my class since the last exam, so I had a lot of catch up on lectures to do... and an exam to take... and a project to to and turn in... Yeah. That was Saturday. Sunday I had brunch with mightyjesse and Miss Em during the Packer game, which turned out to be a good time to be out since Samba was pretty deserted and the rest of the day was pretty low-key, which was a good end to the long weekend.

Long weekends rawk. Can haz another?  
Tags: ,
mightyjessemightyjesse on November 30th, 2010 07:03 pm (UTC)
I'm still sad about the waffles...
EllieSamelliesam on November 30th, 2010 08:55 pm (UTC)
Is confused
Is it the iron in the Pennsic water that produces the green? And why do you need to start with the red to get there?
eithni: excellenteithni on November 30th, 2010 11:23 pm (UTC)
Re: Is confused
Yup, its the iron - such is the magic of chemistry! It doesn't need to start out red - you can add the iron in at the beginning, but prolonged exposure tends to make animal fibers brittle, so dyeing then adding the iron limits the exposure time... And lets you do a cool magic trick! :)