Log in

No account? Create an account
13 February 2011 @ 11:42 pm
Some days are longer than others  
Well, the long weekend went as well as could be expected...

Thursday was a crazy day. I had a morning teleconference to start my day off with pharmaceutically goodness. I needed to have some routine maintenance done on my car plus a recall-related repair, so I dropped off the car at the dealership and I got to go out to lunch with two of my favorite people. We then went on a field trip to Vom Fass where I spent a crazy amount on booze, since they were offering 30% off for wearing a Packers jersey. Woot! I can so justify donning the green and gold for such a lofty purpose - I haz much Scotch! Unfortunately, my car needed a lot more work (and new tires) than originally expected, so I also ended up spending a crazy amount on my little Fit as well... Once it was completed and paid for (ouch), I checked my email and there was a coupon for the tires I had just bought! Happily, the girl behind the counter honored the coupon and gave me a refund. :) Then I drove down to Milwaukee, dropped off presents for my stepsisters, picked up my sister and nephew, then went to my grandparents' house for dinner and family time. Everyone was amiable and there was a lot of catching up, reminiscing, and torturing of the nibling.

Friday got off to a bad start - I didn't realize that Port Washington allows NO street parking during the winter (as opposed to Madison's alternate-side parking rules) and I got a ticket at 4:28AM. :P Poo. The rest of the day was better, though. I spent the morning playing with the nephew, chatting with my grandmother, or sitting and sewing quietly with my grandfather. (He's working on embroidering a blackwork cap for me and I'm working on a Victorian chemise.) In the afternoon, we checked into a hotel and took my nephew down to the indoor waterpark. Oh, he had such a good time! It was fun to watch the nibling explore the water features and to show him how to turn valves on and off. :) He tried to drown himself a few times, but we fished him out and discouraged him from drinking the pool water, even from the spigots that looked like bubblers. Dinner was out at my mom's favorite Mexican place (mmm... habenero chicken) and then we crashed pretty hard - chasing a two year old is tiring!

Saturday was the day of the funeral. We got up and visited with my aunt and then headed to the church. (There were some very complicated and convoluted planning sessions to try to get all the relatives and baggage to the places where they needed to be, since cars needed to go back to the rental places, hotel rooms needed to be checked out of, and everyone was headed in different directions and/or coming from different locations. Toss into the confusion that a bag that had been left in the rental car when it was returned and you have near pandemonium.) The service was short, simple, and nice. The pastor had a lovely homily, which I recorded on the dorkPhone and sent to the cousins who could not be there... I'm not really sure how to sum it up... It was very surreal. :/ I think it almost would have been more real and more Mike if we'd just had a kegger in the church hall... Anyway, while folks were having cake after the service,  I ran over to the airport to get the forgotten bag.... which ended up being a non-woven shopping bag - you know, the type you get for less than a dollar to carry groceries in. *facepalm* As my uncle said, though, if I had not gone back for it, it would have been a critical family heirloom. :P Afterwards, my mom, my brother, his girlfriend, my sister, my nephew and I went out to lunch, which was nice - with my sister living in Montana, it's rare that we are all together. At that point, though, I decided I needed a break from family and sorrow - three days of Family Time with no break and no alone time was wearing on me. I drove around Milwaukee a bit, helped D pick out some fabric, and stopped by the CAM work day for some socialization. (Thanks to all you in CAM who took me in for the afternoon!)  Later, I met up with my dad, his wife, and my assorted other relations for dinner and some Wii gaming. When everyone was headed to sleep, I headed back to Madison and my own bed.

Sunday was a day of rest - I got up quite early for my day off, but was just a passenger in cass_lee 's spiffy little car all the way to the regional practice. I sewed and chatted and otherwise relaxed all day. teffan  drove down from the cities toward the end of the day and we went to dinner en masse. I tried to stay awake on the drive home and mostly succeeded. I thought I'd head to bed immediately upon returning home, but the nervous energy got to me and I gave the frige a total purge and scrubbing. It looks like we were robbed by very hungry thieves, but all the suspicious items and geriatric condiments have been removed and the ominous sticky marks scrubbed off.

Tomorrow - back to work. I do not relish the thought. There will be a pile of work to do from four days off and I'll need to deal with the hornet's nest I kicked last week before I left for the weekend. :/
Tags: ,
teffanteffan on February 14th, 2011 06:52 am (UTC)
Hehehehe - "geriatric condiments" followed the next paragraph by "relish the thought" :P
eithni: excellenteithni on February 15th, 2011 06:41 am (UTC)
Heh. True enough... unintentional nerdiness...
teffanteffan on February 15th, 2011 06:47 am (UTC)
Someone chuckled the other day when I was able to smoothly work the word "couth" into a sentence :)
Phatchick: Zen Hugsladybrigid on February 14th, 2011 03:43 pm (UTC)
Sending you big zen hugs.